7 days | DKK 12,400
The Wilderness First-Responder course has become the International, medical training gold standard for most guide services, outdoor educators, research groups, military and professional search and rescue teams. This seven-day intensive program conforms to the Wilderness Medical Society (WFS) syllabus. Comprehensive and practical, the curriculum provides lectures in anatomy and physiology.
It includes the essential fundamentals and skills required to assess and manage medical problems in remote and extreme environments where resources are scares and evacuation may be complex or delayed. The course objective is to provide participants with the knowledge and skills required to independently and competently manage actual, life-threatening medical issues.
In addition to cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification, the course includes 24-hour, hands-on training in potentially harsh conditions, such as arctic, high-altitude, marine, desert or jungle environments. The Wilderness First Responder certificate is valid for three years and can be renewed with Safe Nordic’s three-day Wilderness First Responder Recertification course.
Students must pass a written WFR test and demonstrate adequate skills and knowledge to complete the course.
The curriculum includes, but is not limited to:
- General Principles of Wilderness and Rescue Medicine: Prevention and identification of medical emergencies, suitable technology and risk management
- Patient Assessment and Emergency Care: CPR, basic life support and emergency treatment of anaphylaxis and asthma
- Environmental Medicine: Training for altitude-related illness, hypothermia and heat-related illness, frostbite and cold injury, lightning, submersion and environmental toxins
- Backcountry Medicine: Assessment and treatment of common medical conditions
- Musculoskeletal: Unstable and stable injuries, such as overuse syndromes and dislocations
- Wound Management: Open fractures, lacerations, burns and blisters
- Practical Skills: Splinting, bandaging, rescue-transport packaging and medical kit preparation
- Wound Cleaning and Exploration: Spine injury assessment, dislocation reduction, CPR in a remote setting and anaphylaxis and asthma as well as basic medicine knowledge